Friday, November 19, 2010

Decorating the Tree?

I put the Christmas tree together and started decorating it but all the kittens in the house started trying to help. They wanted to play with the ornaments and bead garland and it was so much fun watching them that I just kept redoing what they kept undoing.We have always had cats so most of my ornaments are shatterproof but nothing is kitten proof!

These blocks are much brighter than the photo suggests. I am setting them with black kona solid sashing. The the outside border is going to be a bright pink floral. I hope to have it basted and ready to quilt by Christmas.
I am also working on trying to get this top together. It is called Christmas in July because the colors are Christmas Red, Green, and Beige/Gold but the patterns are not Christmas at all. Most are floral with a few being paisley. I won't hand quilt this quilt because I want a good sturdy throw that can be used all year. I will machine quilt it or send it out for machine quilting. I think I will have several left over blocks so I might make a table runner too!
I am sewing the blocks for this pattern as well. (I never work on just 1 project at a time) This tree will be a wall hanging that I will decorate with antique buttons and charms I have been collecting for many years. I have all the ivory background blocks finished and most of the green ones are finished as well. The past 2 years I have made an extra block each time I sewed a block and added it to the stack. As soon as I get the drunkard's path blocks finished I will start putting the whole thing together. I doubt that I will get it done in time for this Christmas because the kittens are too much help but maybe next year! The idea is to have a tree whether I feel like decorating one or not.

I have a couple of free items to give away to my blog followers. One is a desk top calendar of my custom designed quilts the other is a box of scraps from my stash clean out. If you follow my blog just email me your snail mail address to ladyqwiller@yahoo.com  with "FREEBEE" in the subject line and I will put your name in the drawing. I will do the drawing on December 1 and the packages will go out the same day!

3 comments:

  1. I love this tree! Is there a pattern? I would like to make it as you did, over time. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pattern the tree and background are made up of 6.5" unfinished blocks. Some are solid fabric and others are pieced. Then the edge pieces are drunkards path blocks. The top is a modified drunkards path I did with 4 3.5" unfinished blocks sewed together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the patchwork tree. I like to see traditional blocks used in non-traditional ways.

    ReplyDelete