Sunday, November 7, 2010

Custom Designed Quilts I have made

This one is called Window Watcher. It started with 4 rail fence blocks that I trimmed to pinwheels then sewed into the window panes. Then I took the pieces I had cut off and cut some half square triangle the same size and created the outer points. When the top was done it was way to plain so I hand painted one of my cats on fabric and appliqued it sitting in the window.
This is the Spiderman quilt I made for my DGS. First I created the rail fence blocks using reds, blue and the background fabric. Then I hand painted the Spiderman onto white fabric with fabric paints. The I cut out the Spiderman and appliqued him to the background and appliqued a big full harvest moon just above him. Then I cut strips from a fabric that had 6 citys skylines on it. I used 2 Seattle and 1 San Francisco because he had been to both of those towns. He loved it! I backed it with a turquoise flannel that could go to his college dorm it he wanted.
This one I started by taking the lame fabric and backing it with 100% cotton iron on interfacing. Then I alternated the lame and favorite scraps of fabrics I had collected over the years with a black tone on tone. Once the quilt was finished I took satin ribbons and antique buttons I had collected and ran them from the upper right to the lower left. Once it hung on the wall I put my Christmas tree up in front of it. After Christmas when I went to take down the tree I took the On Wings Of Light fairy ornaments and hung them on the buttons to get them out of the way until I could get their boxes out. Turned out I loved the fairies handing on the buttons and never did put them away. I just kept adding to them as the new shipments arrived. And that is where they still hang today.
More Quilts tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment