Monday, January 31, 2011

Nasty Flu Pretty quilts!

I got the flu last weekend and for the first three days my head was so stuffed up I couldn't breathe well except while I was sitting at my sewing machine. I don't know why this happens but it is probably because sewing relaxes me so much I stopped stressing about my stuffy nose. So I started piecing UFO's that have been stacked near or on my sewing machine for several months. This one is called Bold and Bright and is from an internet swap I was a part of. About half the blocks I made and the other half were from swappers all over the world. As you can see the kitties love the bright colors too and it was impossible to get a picture without kitties.
Was going to use a 2" lattice but didn't like the way it looked so I cut the strips in half and it turned out the perfect way to frame each block. The otter border was going to be a bright pink floral but my cat stole it and ran away with it and then brought me back this purple 60s reproduction print with mod flowers in all the colors in the quilt. I am so glad my cats join in the quilting process because he was so right and I would have had to take the pink off. So I will save the pink border for another quilt. I have about 30 UFOs that I want to get finished this year. I am trying to do them with only the fabric I have on hand. I got 3 quilts pieced while I was having trouble breathing but I can't find the corner blocks I made for the outside border of one of them. The cats steal fabric if they like it. Here is a photo of the second quilt top I finished while I was having trouble breathing.
This quilt is called Kitty Kat and is an adaptation of Janet Kime's pattern Plaid Cats from her book The Cat's Meow. I have one of these done in Christmas prints too but I can't find the outer scrappy border I made for it. I can't even blame the cats for it this time. It got packed away somewhere years ago which is why I never pieced the top together. But I'll find it or make a different border and then I will post the picture of the 2 other tops I made while my head was stuffy. I am now at the point where I have been sleeping a lot because I didn't get much sleep while I was coughing and had a stuffy head. I am doing much better now and I still plan of sewing lots more of my UFO's together so I will keep posting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment