Friday, October 8, 2010

Dresden Plate Blocks

These are the Dresden plate blocks I am trying to finish the last half dozen of. The block on the right is the block my kitten chewed my thread and needle right off. I now have to put my sewing away every night so I don't have to pay any more money to have needles removed from his throat!.

I started the quilt with the jewel tone blocks on the left. When I finished my first 4 blocks and put them in a square on my design board I found the colors overpowering. I designed the pastel block with the same color families and plan to alternate the jewel tone blocks with the pastel blocks. I haven't decided whether to use sashing or not yet but I only have 5 more blocks to applique down. I have extra plates of all the fabrics to use as the outer border. Every other blade will be reversed along the edge until the corners where I will use 4 blades to turn the corner. I hope to be done with the top by Christmas so I can spend January and February quilting it.

I have so many blocks sitting around that I am trying to finish two quilt tops each month. I will keep you posted as to my progress.

My tip for the day is: Find a way to mark your good fabric scissors so you don't have to be angry at a family member for using them on something they shouldn't. (My husband once stirred ceramic slip with my good Gingher scissors!

No comments:

Post a Comment